Search & Win

Sunday, October 25, 2009

What do you do with a B.A. in English?

I graduated in 2008. I've been half-heartedly trying to get a job as a teacher, but rather unsuccessfully. When I was in school, I really wanted to be a teacher. When I was in college, I wanted to be a professor. Now I'm done with school. And unemployed.

I mean that in the statistical sense. I work two part time jobs, but there's no way I would be able to support myself and my husband on that income.

I started sewing when I was nine. I don't remember how it came to me, but I had a book that taught me how to make sock monkeys. It came with two pairs of the red-heeled socks, but after those were gone I started monkey-fying every other loose sock I could find. Then it moved up to sock bunnies, kitties, puppies, I had dozens of sock animals littering my room. Then I attempted to cut up a shirt to make it a camisole...

I failed. And I stuck with sock creatures until I ran out of socks.

Then when I was eleven, I went to Theatre Camp. During one of our days there, the prop designer had to handle the group, and she decided to teach us how to make drawstring bags.

This was my first time using a sewing machine. My bag turned out really well, but I wasn't too fond of the unnecessarily popularized drawstring backpack that was fashionable in the 90's. So I cast aside the product, but ingrained the technique into my brain.

When I was 16, I finally got a hold of my first sewing machine. I would sit on the floor with it and press the pedal with my knee. I didn't know anything about sewing. I didn't even know that there were stores that specifically sold fabric! I got all mine from recycled t-shirts and scraps from goodwill.

Through college, I always figured it would just be a hobby. I would be like all those other grown women who would occasionally make clothes for their children or whip up some curtains out of some old sheets.

Now that I'm out of school, and the economy has tanked, all those writing jobs are pretty much gone. Teaching jobs are scarce, but I honestly just don't wanna do it anymore. My new dream is to own my own boutique, go to fashion school. Maybe I might try out for project runway.

But the well has run dry for college funding. After 4 years of tuition costs and one big ass wedding, there is no way I can get the dinero to go to school again.

So I'm trying to get all the books and vlogs and experience tips that I can use to teach myself for now. Maybe when my husband gets out of law school we can talk about a degree in design.

Help a sistah out?

No comments:

Post a Comment